OAS CAHPS Survey Information
What does the OAS CAHPS Survey measure?
The survey includes 24 questions plus patient demographic information (37 questions total). It encompasses the following domains:
- Communication and care provided by health care providers and office staff
- Preparation for the surgery or procedure
- Post-surgical care coordination and patient-reported outcomes
- Overall rating of the ASC or HOPD
- Whether the patient would recommend the facility to family and friends
What are the goals of the OAS CAHPS Survey?
The goals of the survey are to:
- Produce comparative data on the patient’s perspective to allow objective and meaningful comparisons between ASCs and HOPDs on domains that are important to consumers
- Provide a platform for public reporting to allow consumers to make more informed choices when choosing an ASC or HOPD
- Assess post-surgical care coordination and patient-reported outcomes
- Empower ASCs to use the data reported for implementing quality improvement initiatives
How is the OAS CAHPS Survey administered?
SPH Analytics and other CMS-approved OAS CAHPS Survey vendors administer the survey on behalf of ASCs and HOPDs and submit the data to RTI International. The survey is administered by phone, mail or mixed mode (mail with phone follow-up). There is no Web-based version of the survey. Highlights of the survey administration include:
- Target minimum of 300 completed survey over each 12-month reporting period
- Must attempt to contact every patient in the sample
- Proxies are not permitted
More information about the OAS CAHPS Survey is available here.
CAHPS® is a registered trademark of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ).
About SPH Analytics
SPH Analytics (SPHA) is approved to conduct and submit multiple NCQA and CMS surveys including OAS CAHPS. SPHA has more than two decades of experience conducting the CAHPS family of surveys and a strong history of helping HOPDs and ASCs measure performance and drive process improvement.
SPHA clinical and financial analytics, health care survey capabilities, call center solutions and consulting services empower clients to increase patient satisfaction and engagement, improve population health and reduce the overall cost of care. Ranked number one in MACRA and MIPS Support Technology for Value Based Care by Black Book Research for 2017, SPH Analytics has been providing insights and impact for more than 24 years and serves clients in all 50 states.
*The program is currently voluntary. In the 2018 ASC Proposed Rule, CMS proposed to keep the survey as voluntary until further rulemaking.